Sunday, June 26, 2011

Set free

I went grave huntin' with Ami and Brian today at Rose Hill Cemetery in Macon.  Ami's doing a photo scavenger hunt and one of the things on her list that she has to capture is the grave of someone famous.  She picked Duane Allman.  He and fellow Allman Brothers band member, Berry Oakley, are buried side by side at Rose Hill.  They died just over a year apart, both due to injuries they received in motorcycle accidents.  I hadn't been to their graves in years.  It's really sad but due to vandals, the families have had to put a fence around them.  The last time I was there, there was no fence and you could walk right up to the graves.  A lot of people did.  Placed flowers there, smoked pot there, played music there, hung out there.  

This is their resting spot today.

 Duane is on the left and his grave reads:

Duane Allman
Nov. 20, 1946
Oct. 29, 1971

I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can.  I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it...seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me.

Berry's on the right and his grave reads:

Our Brother B. O.

Raymond Berry Oakley III
Born in Chicago: Apr. 4, 1948
Set Free Nov. 11, 1972

"Help thy brother's boat across and lo!
Thine own has reached the shore!"

I just loved that "set free".  

Y'all take it easy, Duane and Berry.  Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment