Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Happy Birthday, Oreo cookie!

A hundred years ago today, the first little Oreo cookie rolled off the line at Chelsea Market Bakery in Manhattan, New York and a legend was born!  Who doesn't like Oreo cookies??  There are lots of different versions of them today like the Double Stuf, Golden (a vanilla cookie with chocolate cream on the inside!), Peanut Butter, Cool Mint and even a Reduced Fat version.

When I was younger, about 25 or so, I was working in Americus and I entered a contest at Piggly Wiggly to win a year's supply of Oreo cookies.  I'd never won anything in my life and sure didn't think I'd win then.  But I DID!!  I won a YEAR'S SUPPLY OF OREO COOKIES.  And every week for a year, I walked down to Piggly Wiggly from my office in the Perlis Plaza and picked up my pack of Oreos.  It got to the point that I was SO SICK of Oreos, my family was SO SICK of Oreos, so I started just giving them away to customers, people on the street, dogs, whoever would take them.

I can't even remember the last time I had an Oreo.  I know I had an Oreo Blizzard at Dairy Queen a couple of summers ago but an actual cookie??  I can't remember.

I do remember how I eat them, though.  I twist and separate and eat the center first.  Just like nearly 50% of women do.  Men usually eat the thing whole in one or two bites.  Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever seen a man twist and separate an Oreo.  Funny.  Larry eats 'em in one bite.

I think it's pretty amazing that a cookie has survived a hundred years.  Nothing lasts a hundred years in this country.  We are bombarded by new stuff daily and it's really hard to keep up.  So for this little cookie to stand the test of time really means something.  It's a classic.

2 comments:

  1. Piggly Wiggly. We used to have one of those. I eat mine in two bites, no licking out the cream. But Willow eats the cream first. I like Newman O's, but our neighbor always has double stuf Oreo's and I admit they are tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We call the Pig the "Hoggly Woggly"! :D I haven't tried the Newman O's before. Maybe I'll pick some up next time. So not surprised about Willow. She and I are kindred spirits. :)

      Delete