Friday, April 1, 2011

Welcome April!

I couldn't wait any longer. It's April 1st. Officially, Easter is on its way!! I've had my mantel decorated for several weeks now and I thought I'd share what I've done so far!










This is my most favorite Easter decoration.  He's with me all year long, actually, hanging on my living room wall.  My Laughing Jesus picture.  It belonged to my good friend and next door neighbor, Skip, and when he died several years ago, his daughter, Shari, let me have it.  I cannot tell you how many times this picture has cheered me up, stopped my tears, saved me.  Easter is not about a bunny.  It's not about eggs.  Easter is about Jesus.  How He suffered and died and then was resurrected to save US.  Doesn't the mere thought of His resurrection just give you goosebumps??  I get 'em!!  I used to LOVE to sing "He Lives" on Easter Sunday morning at New Life Baptist Church where I grew up.  I would sing this song so loud!  :)



I serve a RISEN Saviour,
He’s in the world today,
I know that He is living,
whatever men may say.
I see His hand of mercy,
I hear His voice of cheer.
And just the time I need Him,
He’s always near.
He lives, He lives!
Christ Jesus lives today.
He walks with me and talks with me
along life’s narrow way.
He lives, He lives!
Salvation to impart.
You ask me how I know He lives?
He lives within my heart!

I have to mention a birthday today, too, on April Fool's Day.  My Great Uncle Lewis was born on April 1st.  He's been gone many years now but I always remember his birthday.  He was my granddaddy's half brother and he was a good man, a Christian man, a devoted family man and he was also the most aggravating somebody I've ever known.  He'd come visit Mama in the early afternoons and as soon as our school bus rounded that corner and we saw his truck in the driveway, we'd be like, "Oh NOOOOO, Uncle Lewis is there!!!" and when we got off the bus, we'd just stay outside and play or we'd go in the back door or something.  Uncle Lewis would just pick you slap to death.  He would tease you and pick on you and in his not-meaning-to-hurt-you way, make fun of you.  He used to do this "crow eatin' corn" thing with his thumb and index finger and he'd catch our fingers and just pinch the fire out of them.  He was a mess.  A mess born on April Fool's Day.  Happy Birthday, Uncle Lewis!  I know you're up there in heaven buggin' the stew out of somebody.

3 comments:

  1. LUV your mantel...like bunnies w/sunglasses best. Reading your testimony on Jesus was most enjoyable.I'm so thankful HE lives.
    Like new background on blog.
    LUV u
    The laughing Jesus is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, everything is so pretty!! I love Laughing Jesus, too! He's so awesome. I appreciate the Uncle Lewis flashback, too. Made my day. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all your bunnies and the way your mantle looks, but the best is your laughing Jesus. As for Uncle Lewis, aren't you glad he stands out in your mind on his day? I miss him visiting us. He would be 102 today.

    ReplyDelete