Saturday, July 11, 2015

Garden update!

I haven't had good luck at all with growing squash this year.  Those squash borers got me again.  All of that extra care, all of that precaution, they still got me.  BUT!  I think I caught it early and was able to take care of it before they killed all three of my new plants.  I lost one.  The other two are doing good and it's just a waiting game.  I don't know if those things are in the stem.  If they are, the plant will die.  But there have been no signs so there's hope.  Larry and I went and got some squash at a local produce stand and the lady there said this has been a bad year for squash.  It's been a bad year for MY squash, that's for sure.

But I do have squash.  Right now I do.  :)


The tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers and banana peppers are doing great!  We're picking a couple just about every day now.  Everything grown organically with no chemicals or pesticides.  I'm so proud.

 
 

My delicious sweet lettuce turned bitter in this awful heat we've had so I'll try again in the fall.  Lettuce likes cooler weather.  I'm going to plant onions, spinach and lettuce in the fall and I've already started sweet potatoes that will be ready around then, too.  And I'll plant mammoth sunflowers, thanks to my friend, Terrie.  She left one of her sunflower heads on our porch (along with a very generous sampling from her garden that we enjoyed for days!) for me to dry and harvest the seeds so I could plant in late August.  I planted sunflowers by the fence in May and the first little flower is forming.  I was so excited when I saw it today!

 

My beautiful bougainvillea has bloomed like crazy ever since I put it in the backyard.









 


This is the first bloom in my pot of wildflowers that I grew from seed.  I can't wait to see what comes up!









 



And the white hydrangea in the backyard is just full of blooms.  They are sooooo beautiful.








 
Larry worked this morning so I went to an estate sale by myself and I got this little white metal rack that I thought would be perfect for the flower pots I've collected lately.

I got a lot of really cool stuff today on my own and then with Larry once he got off work but the best thing all week (maybe even all year!) was this 1960's (I've narrowed it down to 1962-1965) Broyhill Brasilia dining room table and chairs that I found at the Salvation Army.  I just happened to stop last Wednesday afternoon on my way home from work and I saw it.  I fell in love at first glance!!  And when I went over and looked at it, I knew I had to have it.  I love everything about it, its solid wood construction (it's very well made!), the cool vintage atomic-style chairs, it's the perfect size for us now with the kids coming to visit and it's OLD, my favorite thing!!  We love it.  Since it's 50+ years old, it has a few little problems and Larry and I are going to work on it.  Somebody PAINTED on it.  Ugh.  So we're going to strip it and refinish it with some satin poly and give it a new 60's-like finish.  It had been in storage and was covered in grime and spider webs.  It took a lot of cleaning before I would even let it in the house.  It's had a rough life, a long life and I'm so happy it's with us now.  

It looks just like it belongs with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment