Saturday, June 13, 2009

Why Didn't I Think Of This???

This boy is after my heart.

It's basically a milk carton for water.  I don't know why it's taken THIS LONG for somebody to come up with it.

Jordan Steeves hopes to revolutionize the bottled water industry.

The 18-year-old got inspiration for his senior project from his dad, after a trip to Miami.

"He said the beach was amazing and nice," said Steeves, "but he kept stepping on water bottles."

With news of the dangers accumulating plastic is having on the ocean and aquatic life, Steeves began researching an idea he had. He wondered if you could make a water bottle out of cardboard.

After three failed prototypes, he came up with, "Cykle." It's a hybrid cardboard/plastic water bottle.

"The bottle is made up of 70 percent renewable material paper and the rest is 30 percent plastic which is on the outside and inside to keep the water in," Steeves explained.

Steeves formed a company and just won a science contest at WSU for "Cykle." He and his school were each awarded $5,000. He'll use the money for college.

"I'm attending Western Washington University and I'm gonna major in environmental science," Steeves said.

If you know any investors, Steeves says he's still looking.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Ginger has a blog now! It's my turn to learn about you. :-)