Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Nichols (and me!) take the Whistle Stop Cafe

I met Mike and Brandy at one of my very favorite places today for lunch.  The Whistle Stop Cafe in Juliette.

In all the times I've been to the Whistle Stop, I have NEVER seen it as crowded as it was today.  I got there a little after 11:00 just as a bus pulled up with a bunch of little old ladies and then it just filled up from there.  

And it was hot.  And in trying to snag us a booth before there weren't any more, I picked one on the side where the ceiling fans didn't work.  Yay, me.  I understand them wanting to keep the cafe the way it was when the movie was filmed there but knowing Idgie and Ruth the way I do, I feel pretty sure they wouldn't mind a little central cooling up in there.  Just sayin'.

We had a great time anyway!!  I usually get the Bennett's barbecue sammich (secret's in the sauce!) but today, I got fried chicken with mashed potatoes, fried okra and cornbread.  Oh, and a side of fried green tomatoes, of course.  OF COURSE I DID.


 Hush yo' mouf.

Beautiful little Willow dancing on the porch of the cafe

How darling is this baby boy??  
Roan had the right idea 'cause man, it was HOT.

 
After we ate, we walked around the village and popped into several of the little antique and junk stores there.  I found this adorable sign in one of the junk stores that I HAD to have for my kitchen!! I love it!!  Our favorite store was The Honeycomb, a unique little shop filled with local honey (they're beekeepers, by the way!) and lots of little trinkets.  Oh, and COLD RC Colas!!  I got a bar of lavender, milk and honey soap that smells absolutely divine.  I don't even want to use it.  I'm just gonna let it smell up the place.  :)




Our fun day was over too soon since they had to get back to Atlanta so after we parted, I did something else that I've never done before, in all the times I've been to the Whistle Stop.  I went and explored the church grounds and cemetery of the church from the movie.  In the movie, it's a Baptist church but actually, it's a United Methodist church.  Same difference, right?  The only difference is how wet you get when you get baptized.  :) 
I paid my respects to Buddy and Ruth.  I thought it was so cool that they put the little headstones side by side.

Fried Green Tomatoes is a 21-year-old movie and this little town survives entirely from tourists and fans of that beautiful love story.  Judging by that crowd today, I'd say they're still doing just fine.

3 comments:

  1. Food sounds & looks delish.
    I still haven't actually eaten at the cafe, yet!
    Those are some beautiful kids, by the way.
    Happy to hear you had a FUN day.

    LUV ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a special day. Those kids are growing up so fast.Roan had to shine his 2 teethes for you to see.I'm so glad that it was crowded. I have always hoped it would be sometimes and it would have been hot with all those people anyway.Your meal looked so delicious . Enjoyed reading about your day......Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was so good to see you. Might have to find a middle-of-the-road season next time. ;-)

    ReplyDelete