Friday, August 3, 2012

Beyond the keep

I am in love with Velva Jean Hart.  This girl.  OH, THIS GIRL. 

I'm reading the sequel to Velva Jean Learns To Drive (I blogged about it here).  Part two of her story is called Velva Jean Learns To Fly and I'm having a really hard time putting this book down!!

All Velva Jean wanted all her life growing up in the mountains of North Carolina in the 1930's was to sing at the Grand Ole Opry.  She inherits an old yellow truck, teaches herself to drive it and change the oil and stuff like that, then she sets out on her own, leaving her husband behind (who she eventually divorces in a quickie Mexican divorce, making herself "beyond the keep".  I love that analogy!), headed for her new wonderful life in Nashville.

You know what they say about plans, right??  I don't really know how she ends up 'cause I'm still in the middle of the book but once World War II good and kicks off, she's signed up to be a woman pilot, a WASP, a Women Airforce Service Pilot.

This girl is amazing.  You almost believe she is real.  The relationships she has with the people whose paths she crosses are true and genuine.  In fact, my favorite person whose path she crossed is a handsome, young cadet bugler named Ty, who absolutely broke my heart.  I haven't cried while reading a book in a long time.  I'm not going to say any more in case you want to read it, just know that he is something pretty special.

I've been reading books at work, exclusively at work, but this one I'll finish this weekend, I'm sure.  I literally cannot wait to see what happens next!  Since I'm learning to work on F-15s at work, I'm really interested in the flying part of it.  Not that I'd EVER want to pilot a plane.  Just sayin'. 


These books are funny, heartwarming and such a joy to read.  I really hope there's a part three to Velva Jean.  I don't want to let her go.  I know there's something else she can learn to do!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment