Monday, July 14, 2014

What's new

Several things are new around here.  

I have a brand new Etsy shopHeart Full Of Hippie is what I called it.  I've been collecting a few things here and there from estate sales that Larry and I go to every weekend so I thought I'd try my hand at vintage sales.  I only have a small number of things listed so far but I have a box full of dainty teacups and beautiful saucers from the 1960's in a box along with a stack of crisp, white, embroidered pillowcases that I picked up last weekend and a few little knick-knacky things.  I get absolutely giddy at the prospect of going to another estate sale.  I have really gotten addicted in the short time we've been doing this.  It is so much fun!!  And the treasures you can find in a house that's been lived in and loved in for 40 or 50 years are boundless.

We got a new king-sized bed and we love it.  We found this quilt for it and I think it's just beautiful.  I love the teal blue color, the stitching, the soft texture of it, just everything about it!  And it goes with pretty much all of my vintage sheets and pillowcases, too.  Like that matters anyway 'cause the more mismatched everything is, the mo' better I like it!  :)

And I got a new job!  I applied back in April for a position on the new VPP Steering Committee for F-15s, interviewed for it and got it!  I found out June 3rd that I had the job but I didn't want to say anything until I was sure it was a done deal.  Well, they moved the three of us to an office today and we officially started our new jobs as Steering Committee members.  They interviewed 74 people and selected nine base-wide and just three for F-15s.  I was one of the three they chose.  I found out later that my interview scored third highest out of all 74 that they interviewed!  I don't even remember what all I said!  My interview was in the afternoon, I went straight off the floor, in jeans and a t-shirt, my hair in a ponytail.  I just went in there and was myself and I guess that's all I needed to do.  Anyway, in case you don't know much about VPP, it's an OSHA-implemented program, their Voluntary Protection Program, that's designed to keep workers safe and healthy while on the job and at home, too.  A site (building) can receive recognition for being and maintaining Bronze, Silver or Gold standards, with Gold being the ultimate goal.  We have seven sites in Eagle Country (that's the F-15 world) that need to be Gold by the first of the year.  It'll be our job to get those buildings as safe, as clean and as healthy as they can possibly get and then help them maintain that standard.  I am really excited about the whole experience!  I'll be working in the VPP office for four months starting in September, where I'll train and work and learn all I can about VPP and hopefully be able to solve a few issues for my squadron and then in January, I'll go back to my office and put what I've learned to work.  I am so grateful for this opportunity and I thank God for it.  I feel like a kid two weeks before Christmas.  I can't wait to see what He has planned for me next!  

We ate at Panda Express (again!) tonight and these were fortunes from the two cookies I had.  :)

I love old stuff.  The guys at work told me I wasn't old last month when I turned 47, they said, "Miss Ginger, you're vintage!" (yeah, they know my obsession with old Pyrex, they see the stuff I post on Facebook and a few of 'em even read my blog.  Thanks, y'all!!  I love ya!) and the older something is, the more precious it is to me.  But I have to say new stuff can be pretty dang sweet, too.

2 comments:

  1. That's wonderful about your new job! So, I guess you won't be handling giant wrenches anymore?

    ReplyDelete