Saturday, July 26, 2014

Life's just peachy!

After spending the morning in fellowship with a couple of sweet families in our Family Promise program at church, Larry and I hit a couple of estate sales and yard sales.  At one estate sale, while I was in the kitchen finding Le Creuset pieces, Larry was out in the garage negotiating on an old Army footlocker.  They wanted $250 for the footlocker.  Larry talked to them for a few minutes and $25 later, we loaded that thing up on the truck!  We bought a footlocker last Saturday at a yard sale for $20, turned around and sold it on eBay to a guy in Australia for $149!  We couldn't believe it.  I hope this one does just as well!  I picked up a Le Creuset cast iron frying pan for $10 and a vintage Suzy's Zoo Christmas mug for $2.  And then it got hot as navy blue blazes so we decided we'd go on down to Montezuma to meet Mama and Daddy at Brown's Farm Market to get some of Georgia's famous Elberta peaches.  I seriously love these things, I wait all year for them and I keep bags of 'em in my freezer year-round so that I can make cobblers in the dead of winter.  They are sweet, they are juicy, they are pretty much God's gift to the state of Georgia.  And they are MINE come the end of July.  

 Here they are in all their velvety lusciousness

 
 Gorgeous zinnias!

 Beautiful zinnias just 10 cents a stem!

Since today was the first day of Elberta season and since everybody pretty much loses their dang minds when the Elbertas arrive, it was crowded.  Very crowded.  Like you-couldn't-hardly-turn-around-without-bumping-into-somebody crowded.  But that's all right when you're in Montezuma.  Whoever you bump into, you're probably kin to 'em anyway.  Or at least you know somebody kin to 'em. 

After we met up with Mama and Daddy, Larry went to get some peach ice cream while I grabbed peaches and purple hull peas and fresh brown eggs and peppers and we got out of there pretty quick.  As we were leaving, we ran into a Facebook friend we'd never met in real life and that was such a treat.  I know she reads my blog, so hey, Charlotte!  It was great seeing you today!

We went back to Mama and Daddy's house and Mama and I washed, picked and bagged the peas.  When I was a kid, summertime was the time to shell peas and snap beans on the front porch.  Nowadays, you usually buy 'em already shelled but you still have to pick the bad ones out.  Here are my sweet mama's hands bagging up my peas for me.  Don't y'all just love her beautiful ceramic Kohler sink??  I do!  I tease her about getting that sink AFTER I'd moved out.  I don't think I would have minded washing all those dishes if we'd had that sink.


We sat a while and visited and then came back home, bringing all that stuff we got at Mr. Brown's plus some Silver Queen corn Mama and Daddy picked up for us at Chase's Farm a couple of weeks ago.

My ladybug kitchen timer just went off.  You know what that means!  My cobbler is done.  :)  Summertime in Georgia --- a little peachy, a little corny and a whole lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment