Sunday, May 4, 2014

Sunday Cake

This week's Sunday cake was my very first pound cake!  My very first because when I want pound cake, I get my mama to make one.  Everybody from miles around knows there ain't nothing like Miss Alice's pound cake.  Her pound cakes were the wedding cakes for half the county, mine and Larry's included.  Larry has teased me that I'm so country, our wedding cake was cornbread.  Nope.  It was my mama's pound cake!

Larry said he wanted a pound cake with pineapple cream cheese icing so that's what he got.

I'm sure you all have great pound cake recipes but here's one to try!

3 cups granulated sugar
2 sticks softened butter
3 cups flour
(I've started using Swan's Down cake flour for my cakes and I can't believe the difference!)
8 ounces heavy whipping cream
6 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder


Cream butter and sugar in a mixer.
Add 1 egg at a time.
Add flour and cream, alternating between the two.
Add baking powder.
Add salt.
Add vanilla.

Put in greased and floured “pound cake pan” (you know, the one with the funnel in the middle)
Put in cold oven, middle rack.
Bake at 350 degrees for an hour. 

Now about that "pound cake pan", Larry and I went to a bunch of yard sales yesterday (13!  And an estate sale!) and my prime objective was to find a pound cake pan.  Not a Bundt pan, I've got one of those, but a pound cake pan.  Like this'n right heah.




But I didn't find one.  The very last place we stopped had a pan very similar, just not as old, and when I saw it, I squealed like a little pig, only to find the funnel piece in the middle was missing.  Dang.  

We had to go buy a new one.  Double dang.

The cake turned out beautifully!  Golden brown, moist and sweet.  Perfect.

This is the recipe for the icing:

8 ounce cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup crushed pineapple with juice
2 pounds powdered sugar

Cream together the cream cheese and butter until fluffy.  Add the vanilla and pineapple and mix until well combined.  Add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time.  Store any remaining in the fridge. 

But there won't be any remaining if you pile it on like I did!  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment