Saturday, April 14, 2012

Bumpity bump bump

Monday, we start wearing these bump caps at work.  Most people are complaining but I say, "That's good!  One less thing." (like my buddy Forrest says!)  It's better than having to wear a hard hat and I don't have to worry about my hair now.  :)  I've been putting it up in a clip or a ponytail anyway.  This job is changing me so much for the better, showing me what's really important and what's just stupid and trivial.  

I'm skinned up, bruised and sore all over but I love it.  I broke my first fingernail yesterday and I filed it smooth with a sanding pad.  Ha!  I can't wait to learn everything so I can just jump in there and work on my own.  That's my way about anything new that I start, though.  I've been splicing wires and installing jacks, hooking up Cannon plugs (that's so HARD to do when the pins are teeny tiny) and I put on my first clamp this week.  I was so proud.  Told everybody, too!

I've got a really good trainer, another girl the same age as me.  She's so patient and knows her stuff.  I told her I want to be just like her when I grow up.

The atmosphere in a hangar is unlike anything I've ever known in my life.  Of course, all I've ever done is work in an office so it's bound to be night and day in an aircraft hangar.  It's loud (we have a sheet metal crew in there with us) but with ear plugs, all that background noise is gone.  I want to keep my dog hearing so I wear my plugs!!  :)  There's music playing all around us and I never know if I'm going to hear Sweet Home Alabama or Old MacDonald Had A Farm (that was hilarious!).

We also wear safety glasses and of course, y'all know ALL ABOUT the steel-toe boots.  I went to Academy last Saturday and got these.  Best twenty bucks I ever spent!!  They are SOOOOO soft and comfy.  I wish I'd gotten them a month ago!!  Live and learn, right??

The walk back and forth to the parking lot is much better.  My legs are adjusting, my tendons are stretching and yesterday, for the very first time, I walked both ways with no pain.  They give us three hours a week for exercise and I've been going to the gym twice a week and working on my legs and arms.  I'm determined to get stronger!  And if some weight decides to fall off in the process, I won't be mad.  :)

So.  Week two is in the books.  I've been employed at the base a month and two days.  I feel like a true gubment employee now.  It's better than I ever imagined.  :)

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear this . Hope those feet and legs continue to improve.You will look great in a cap.Will look like your Daddy. Take care. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATS! Happy to hear you are learning the short cuts that make it all easier for ya. Sounds like this new "experience" is good for you....Know having comfy shoes much improves your outlook, too.
    Sounds like an interesting adventure.
    This could NOT happen to anyone more deserving than you---hard work got you there. We are soooo PROUD for you.
    Keep on keepin on............LUV ya

    ReplyDelete