Friday, March 5, 2010

My Plan For Ridin' Out The Storm

Guess what??

I'm going back to school!! At 42!!! I am sooooo excited and scared slap to death at the same time.

When I lost my career with Citigroup last year, I looked on it as a blessing in disguise. My chance for a fresh start. Freedom! I'd been there so long (sixteen years) that I felt like I was just stuck. I had a good salary, good benefits and I really liked the people I directly worked with every day. So I stayed. And stayed. And stayed. I never was happy, though. I never liked charging people 20% for a car loan and I never liked calling them every month for money and I sure never liked having to go to their houses to collect when I couldn't get them on the phone. (I only had to do that part a very short time but that was enough! White girls in new cars in crack neighborhoods just do not mix.) I hated that part of it. There were some things I liked, though. The last five years that we did auto loans only was pretty sweet. No collecting and absolutely no "chasing"!

Citi has/had some really greedy people up at the top and us little employees at the bottom got the axe. So home we went. I don't really know what I want to be when I grow up but I know that finance just ain't it for me anymore.

I was very fortunate to find employment pretty soon after that and I've met some really sweet people who I absolutely LOVE and we've made true lifelong friendships. I don't believe in things happening by accident. I believe everything is God's plan and I honestly believe that I was sent to that office not just to help them out but for them to help me out. They have helped me release a lot of demons and for that, I will be forever grateful to them.

Just recently, though, I decided to get off my butt and DO something about my future. Finance is all I've ever known and even if I
wanted to go back, nobody's hiring. I believe that the recession will be over eventually and our country will recover. Until then, I'm gonna learn something new. Brand new.

I've enrolled for spring quarter at Middle Georgia Tech in the Electronics co-op with Robins Air Force Base. I'm super, super excited about taking on something I know next to nothing about! The most I know about electronics is how to turn on the radio in my car. I hear tale that after I complete this program, I'll know how to BUILD a radio. How cool would that be?

I'm all registered and stuff, got my Hope grant waiting and classes start April 6th. I'm going to continue to work at my job every day and go to school at night. I'm going to school full-time so that's four nights a week. All I have to do now is get my student ID and my books.

Y'all. Pray for me. I'm already worried about it cutting into my Facebook and blog time. Ha! AND my napping!! This girl loves her naps.

4 comments:

  1. Good for you!! I hope it works out and you really like it! You know I'm praying for you! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy it. You will do great now that you are a "mature lady".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this is going to work. You will be just as good or better when you went to South Ga. Tech. Leave the butterflies home everynight and enjoy your new classes. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eat more celery! It will make you really smart!

    ReplyDelete