Thursday, March 4, 2010

Lord Of The Dance Comes To Macon!

Last night I went with Heidi and Lisa to The Grand Opera House to see The Lord Of The Dance and let me just tell you, the show was absolutely AMAZING.  It's this Irish dancing story of love and good verses evil.  I LOVED it.  I'd never been to the Grand before and we had box seats. As in seats that sit in a BOX AND HANG OFF THE WALL.  I was more than a little worried about crashing two stories to the floor and messing up my hair. As soon as the show started, though, I completely forgot about where I was and I was just caught up in the story, mesmerized would be a good word for it.  It's awesome. If you ever get a chance to see the show in person, GO!

We had to be there at 7:30 so we went to eat at the Downtown Grill before the show.  I'd heard lots about the DG and wanted to see what it was all about.  Yeah, that and it was the only place on Mulberry open for dinner!  So we park and get out to walk to the restaurant and the wind was so mean and hateful (seriously, what is the deal with all this WIND lately??!) and it was SO cold. We get in there and the first thing that hits us is CIGAR SMOKE.  Yeah, you can smoke in there since children aren't allowed. That was big strike number one. But we were so cold, we just wanted to get inside somewhere and as we were led to our table, there was a fire going in the fireplace and it was toasty warm in there.  That still wasn't enough to make up for the smoke but okay.  We sat down and glanced over the menu and everything was so expensive!!  I'd checked the menu out online beforehand ('cause I'm OCD like that a little bit) so I already knew a grilled chicken breast was $17.  And since I'm doing so good with the South Beach thing, I already knew I was getting a shrimp cocktail for $9. That's more like it!  I ended up getting a bowl of French onion soup, too, which was delicious but the shrimp.  

Oh my God, the shrimp.  'Twas six little bitty shrimp you couldn't even use for bait and they were NOT DEVEINED.  Now that's nasty.  I had to devein my own shrimp and then pay them $9 for the privilege.  I was so not amused.  I'm not one to send food back either.  I've seen Dateline. The service was so bad, too.  We got there at 6:10, I got my food at 6:40 which wasn't that bad but Lisa and Heidi got theirs at 7:10.  We had told the waitress when we got there we had to go at ten after 7:00.  As soon as she sat the plates down, they asked for a to-go box.  My first experience with The Downtown Grill was not a good one.  I'm sure the food's great and so is the service on a night when there's not much going on in town.  I'm also sure I won't go back and find out.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself . The Grill don't sound good, whether is was crowded or not. They should be used to busy nights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like an awful mess. You know me--I woulda walked in and caught the faintest whiff of smoke and been like, "hell to the no". You are such a trooper for sticking it out, especially after the shrimp incident. Blech!! Glad you got out and had fun at the show, though!!

    ReplyDelete