Sunday, March 15, 2015

Peaches to the Beaches!

We didn't see no peaches and we didn't see no beaches (dang it!) but we saw just about everything else!

We went to the Peaches To The Beaches yard sale yesterday, Georgia's largest yard sale, starting up in Barnesville and ending at the ocean in Brunswick.  We had big plans to make it all the way to the beach but there was just SO MUCH to look at.  We started in Perry and only made it to McRae.  And we were exhausted!  We'll have to be much more selective next year if we want to make it all the way.  Or start Friday and go halfway each day or something.  There was a booth or table nearly every five feet!  And the official vendor sites had hundreds of booths and tables.  It quickly became really overwhelming and too much to see.  I had no idea this had gotten so big.  My friend Donna and I went in 2003, the first year it started, and it was waaaaay smaller and a lot more manageable.

We had a blast, though, as usual!  What was really funny is how we kept running into my friend, Debbie, and her husband, Jerome.  I said it's because Deb and I are kindred spirits and we're both after the same things!  It was really hilarious.  We ran into Lisa and Bryan Hudson, too, twice.  Out of those thousands and thousands of people, I thought it was pretty awesome to run into folks we knew. 

We saw some really cool stuff!
  


This poor baby was walking around strutting, not even aware (or maybe he didn't care!) that he was missing most of his tail feathers!  :)


It's not every day that you see this!
 

This was my lunch.  The best pulled pork sandwich I have ever had.  Plus mac and cheese, potato salad and cold Mountain Dew.  After hours of walking and looking, this thing hit the spot!


We started out a little cool, rainy and foggy but the afternoon turned into this!  80 degrees and absolutely gorgeous.  I had to get a picture of this old Dairy Queen sign.  He sure does!


I've been wanting a 1960's two-tier table forever.  Like the ones Mama and Daddy used to have as their nightstands.  We found TWO yesterday!  Got the first one for $10 and then found the second one for just $11.  I couldn't leave it behind.  We also found a yellow rotary phone, another thing I've been looking for for a long time.  Not necessarily yellow, that was just a bonus.  All I've seen up to now are black ones and none for less than $40.  This one was only $17!


This adorable little cow creamer has a funny story.  This one is the third one I saw yesterday.  I've never seen this style before.  I saw one at a yard sale and I passed her by, I saw one at a church sale and again, I left her there.  We were at an antique store in McRae and I looked up and on the top shelf was this one looking at me and smiling.  I told Larry that was it.  "That's the THIRD one I've seen today.  I'm getting it."  So she's here now.  :)

  
We found a complete blow mold nativity set at a yard sale and a Santa at a church sale, some grapevine reindeer for the yard, a few pieces of Pyrex, some adorable Easter and Christmas draft stoppers, a 1968 Empire blow mold Santa that I got at an estate sale along the way (for 17 cents!), a gravy boat that matches my Christmas china (for $1 at a church sale!), a pair of jeans for me, a couple of ball caps for Larry, patches, pins, team pennants, a Vietnam era Army helmet that we bought to resell and a bunch of other stuff I know I'm forgetting.  

We had so much fun visiting each town along the way, talking to folks and finding things we couldn't live without.  I get asked sometimes what we DO with this stuff we find.  We have a bigger house now!  Ha!  Seriously, I put things on a rotation, bringing things out, packing other stuff up for a while.  That's the only way you can do it without living in clutter and chaos.  Lucky for us, we have two attics now!  :)

2 comments:

  1. Glad ya'll had a great day! Love your finds and especially the cute cow creamer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the lamp! (And the rotation strategy.)

    ReplyDelete