Tuesday, May 28, 2019

True love, homegrown tomatoes and sunflowers

We had a nice, long Memorial Day weekend at home, in the AC, binge watching stuff on TV.  It was just too hot to get outside and do anything.

We're in the middle of a heatwave and I can't remember 100 degrees in May, ever.  But climate change is a joke.  Global warming is a hoax. Yeah, okay.  I'm not getting on my soapbox about it (but why not?  This is MY blog, right??) but climate change is real and global warming is real and I don't know exactly what we can do about it but doing virtually nothing sure isn't the fix.  Before I left Facebook, I used to see willful ignorance daily about this and that and climate change was one of the things I saw being made fun of, made light of.  And yet, tornadoes and hurricanes are getting stronger and coming more frequently, the seasons are pretty much nonexistent these days and it's 100 degrees in May in Georgia.  Kids graduated from college last week in Colorado in the snow and over 150 tornadoes hit the central part of our country.  And last night, three tornadoes hit Ohio.  This ain't just happening, y'all.  God gave us this beautiful planet to live on and we are destroying it.  And He knew we would all along.

We do what we can but we can do better.  No more plastic bags in this house!  There are shopping bags in the Jeep, bought specifically for that purpose.  We haven't used paper towels in over 10 years and we shop local when we can, pay our bills online, plant flowers to help the bees and the butterflies and y'all know we buy OLD and vintage whenever we can.  Instead of buying a new toaster, we just go get one at an estate sale.  We can still do better, though.  There's always more you can do.

I've been working really hard these past several days trying to keep everything hydrated outside.  Everything is looking good, despite the heat.

Larry planted these tomatoes, plants he bought from the local high school plant sale, at the end of March.  They are monsters now!  He had to extend the space they're in.  I cannot wait to have a sun-ripened, homegrown tomato on two slices of white bread with Duke's mayo and a little salt and pepper.  Shut yo' mouf.  That's what I lived on growing up in the summertime.  My daddy always planted the biggest gardens in the spring and we had tomatoes, squash, peas, okra and peppers all summer long.  I used to love to go out there first thing in the morning with the basket and pick everything that was ready.  I used to take baskets of squash down to Florida to Larry's folks when I'd go spend weeks with them in the summer.  Such wonderful memories...

We had to put netting over them to keep the birds and squirrels out because we feed them in the backyard, too, and they think anything you put out there is for them.



Georgia Peach Dianthus...


Squeeeee!!  My sunflowers, thanks to my amazing husband who planted these for me because I couldn't this year. 


And I'm working on two avocado trees, just to have a pretty little tree plant.  They won't make avocados for years, if at all.  I did this once before at the condo but it grew very spindly and died.  Hopefully, these two will do good! 


I'll be having surgery number four Thursday and I sure hope this is the last one.  I'm tired.  I know I have to do it because I can't walk without pain and the beach is calling my name SO loudly that I can't think sometimes.  This is my favorite picture of me and Larry, just a simple phone selfie at sunrise at Tybee.  


I need this girl back.

1 comment:

  1. She's there, alive and well. A few more scars to add to her history/herstory, but nothing that won't make the telling of it all the more inspiring. We'll be at the beach sooner rather than later. Promise! LARRY

    ReplyDelete