Thursday, October 18, 2012

Oatmeal Cashew Cookies

One of the girls at work gave me a huge container of organic thick rolled oats and another of whole cashews today so I thought, hmmm, oatmeal cookies!



I had never made oatmeal cookies with rolled oats before so I poked around on the internet until I found a recipe for them and I tweaked it a little to suit me.  I used honey instead of white sugar and since I used a stick of salted butter, I left out the salt.
Oatmeal Cashew Cookies

(Makes 2 dozen)

3/4 packed cups flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped cashews
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 large egg
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats 


In small bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon and salt.

In another small bowl, combine chopped cashews with 1/2 tablespoon of the flour mixture.

In large bowl of electric mixer, beat butter on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add sugars and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, water and vanilla. Stir in the flour mixture, then oats and nuts.  Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or up to a few days. (Very cold dough will need to sit at room temperature for a bit to become more scoopable.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Drop scoops of dough 3 inches apart on parchment-lined cookie sheets.  Press down with fork and bake for about 13 to 15 minutes, or until brown around the edges but still a little soft in the center.

Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Store in airtight container.

They turned out pretty good!  Not too sweet, chock full of healthy stuff and I think I'll have a couple for breakfast tomorrow with my coffee.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment