Sunday, November 26, 2017

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...Inside Edition!

The Super Fabulous Schneider Christmas Tree of 2017 went up yesterday and we are really proud of how it turned out!  We got a fresh 7-foot Fraser fir and filled it with lights and decorations from our childhoods and vintage things we've picked up here and there at estate sales and antique and thrift stores.  


Here is the rest of the house!  Larry and I went through 14 huge bins of Christmas decorations and downsized to seven, keeping those things that we were sentimental about, of course, but we were really so extra, it was crazy.  We just had so much stuff, we couldn't use it all every year and some things haven't been put out in several years.  So we donated it all to the church's thrift store so somebody else can love on it this year and maybe many years to come. And our attic will be much lighter for it!


This gingerbread tea pot and mugs definitely made the cut!  I've had these for seventeen years!  I used to go to and host House of Lloyd Christmas Around The World parties and these were a host bonus I earned one year.  I don't do that kind of thing anymore but I sure collected some pretty stuff when I did.


I got these super cute Temp-tations Christmas mixing bowls from QVC a month or so ago.  They are soooo sweet!


My favorite vintage Christmas dish towels.  Squeeee!


A tiny little Santa in the kitchen window.


Larry and I made this paper wreath the other night.  We hung it on the kitchen door and he added a couple of birds.


Here's another old sentimental lovey.  I got this Santa more than 20 years ago from ABC Distributing and for years and years and years, Mama and Daddy hung it by their front door and filled his pockets with candy canes for their "Christmas travelers" as Daddy calls them, a nod to our most beloved Christmas movie, The Homecoming.  Now he hangs at our back door, for the same reason.  If Hawthorne and John-Boy show up at our door, they'll be sure to get a candy cane.


We picked up this talking musical Christmas donkey recently (he's really not as sad as he looks!) and I covered the back of the only remaining chair from Larry's parents' first dining room set with a Santa cover.  


My vintage Santa mug collection.


At an estate sale recently, I found this Southern Living Christmas cookbook, dated 1988, the year Larry and I met.  I had to bring it home.


We've got 28 blow molds to check and test and a huge 6-foot Santa lion to go outside with Snoopy and the Santa train and all the rest.  We'll tackle them next weekend!

3 comments:

  1. I love a good Christmas with Southern Living! Way to go with the downsizing. I love your Jingle Bells bowl, too. Is that Pyrex?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s an egg nog set by Hazel Atlas! I love it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I defy anyone to now feel like they're at the North Pole after a stroll through this house!And the heavenly scents in the air add to the seasonal aura. It's great coming home! LARRY

    ReplyDelete